If your super hungry and looking for an authentic taste of Mardi Gras look no further! The Authentic Muffuletta Sandwich packs over 100 years of history and mind blowing flavor inside of a meaty gigantic scicilin sandwich. The Authentic Muffuletta Sandwich originated in New Orleans by Signor Lupo Salvadore back in 1906. He first served it in a Italian market called Central Grocery on Decatur Street in the French Quarter.
The Authentic Muffuletta is a must try when visiting New Orleans for the first time! If you are not going to be making down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras this recipe is a perfect way to bring the taste of Mardi Gras to your living room! This is also a really great recipe to make for Mardi Gras parties. It can easily be made a head of time and chilled to be served later! Then you can focus on getting your rage on and less cooking!
I know all of us want to experience all the flavor exploding capability of the The Authentic Muffuletta. So, the best thing to do is to make the olive spread ahead of time. Allow your olive spread to marinate overnight for the best flavor! So start this early and give your flavor profile time to build up.
The Authentic Muffuletta is made with an authentic italian loaf with sesame seeds on top. Sometimes this specific kind of loaf can be difficult to locate. If that is the case you can substitute with sour dough bread as well. You do want to make sure that you get a round loaf!
- Muffaletta Sandwich:
- 1 large round Italian loaf topped with sesame seeds
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced mortadella
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced ham
- 1/2 lb provalone cheese, sliced
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Olive Spread:
- 3 cups green olives with pimento
- 3 cups black olives (canned, no pits)
- 1 1/2 cups drained giardiera
- 1 small jar pepperoncini, drained
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp Oregano
- 2 Tbsp finely minced garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- Finley chop olives, giardinera, and pepperoncini, and set aside in mixing bowl
- Add parsley, oregano, and garlic, and mix well.
- Add black pepper and olive oil.
- Store in glass jar (Best flavor if you can let it sit for 24 hours)
- Slice loaf of bread in half horizontally.
- Remove some of the inside of the bread to make room for all the ingredients.
- Layer inside of bread with thick layer of olive spread.
- Layer meats and cheese inside the bread.
- Chill for 20 minutes and serve!
We really hope this sandwich blows you away as much as it does us! Before you leave be sure to check out our famous Mardi Gras Masks! They are the perfect addition to your Mardi Gras trip or Mardi Gras party!
Powered by Leafy Mom